We Greens have been trying really hard to set smart and achievable goals to better ourselves and our marriage. M and I are big "goal people"--we both like setting them and believe in the power of of a written goal (even if we sometimes have trouble on the follow-through). Fitzhugh Dodson said:
Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.
It's been very fulfilling to work together on deciding what we each could work on and determining how to be better spouses for each other. While we're not even finished writing them all out yet, I can already tell a difference in our home.
Along with more serious and self-reflective goals, I've also made some "fun" ones that I thought I would share! Maybe if I share them publicly, I'll feel a little more accountable... :)
- Read (and enjoy) a non-fiction book. I have just never been into non-fiction, and I don't know why. For some reason, it just doesn't grab me. This is probably a sad result of my Harry Potter-dominated reading preferences haha. But this is the year for non-fiction. I already have a few lined up: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, and I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. I'll do I review when I finish them.
- Write at least 2 blog posts per month. I realize this is kind of a sad goal, but looking at my track record, it's still an improvement! Hopefully I can work up to 3 or 4.
- Begin learning Arabic again. After one semester, I loved the language but wasn't able to take more classes. I hope to review my materials to re-learn the basics and hopefully take a class during the summer!
- Become a conscientious gift-giver. I truly admire those people who always seem to give the perfect gift for birthdays or anniversaries--something with meaning, that brings happiness to the receiver. I want to be one of those people.
- Write more Thank You notes. I can't believe I'm saying this after all the cards I wrote from our wedding! But, I want to write more Thank You's. I think there is great love in a written note, especially in one of thanks for the simplest of actions.
I think I'll just share 5 for now. After all, I don't want to get too overwhelmed! What are some goals (serious or fun) that you've made for 2014?