Friday, November 25, 2011

Galilee- Day 2

Tuesday, November 15
Let me describe more for you where we are staying. Ein Gev is originally a kibbutz, compounds created during the Jewish immigrations in the early 1900s to house all of the new immigrants. Everything within these communities is shared, and everyone works and contributes to the greater well-being of the kibbutz. We aren’t staying at the actual kibbutz here (that’s just down the road), but we’re at the resort that’s been created right on the beach of the Sea of Galilee. My little bungalow is probably 200 yards from the sand. So fun! Ein Gev is situated on the south eastern coast of the Sea.

Today my group (Brother Harper’s) had class today while Brother Huntsman’s had their fieldtrip. That is my only complaint about the Galilee-- we are always separated from the other class! We’ve always been split up for field trips and stuff, but usually we at least go on the same days and then have our big lecture classes and free time together. But here, we switch off days for field trips and free time and only have a few big lectures. So basically we only see each other at meal times and after dinner in the evenings. I guess it’s not that big of a deal, but now that time is ticking away on the semester, I just want to spend time with everyone! I cannot believe how fast time is going. Only 4 weeks left. I feel like I’ve only been here for 4 weeks, not almost 12! It will be so weird to go back to Provo to “real school” and not being constantly surrounded by the same 80 students. I’m honestly going to miss it a lot. I feel like our whole group has really grown together and we have so much fun together. I’m so blessed to be a part of it! I feel like this isn’t actually real life, so all of these friends aren’t actually “real.” But they are! That’s so great!

Anyways. I’ll wax nostalgic later. We had class this morning, then free time all afternoon! It was sunny today, so naturally we all headed to the beach. I always forget how much I like the beach. Of course I always think, “Ya, I like the beach, it’s great.” But then when I’m there, I think “THE BEACH IS AWESOOOMMMME! I LOVE THE BEACH! IT’S SOO FUUUNNN!” Just like that. I think that about sums up my feelings about it. I didn’t get in the water today, but I played on the sand and found seashells with Whitney and took lots of pictures with my new camera. Don’t worry, we took the requisite “jump” pictures, and they turned out great. Some people then put together a touch-football game! I spectated and cheered so well, you have no idea. It was funny to see the guys that played football in high school, the ones who didn’t, then all the girls mixed in. Quite humorous to say the least. I got some good pics.

After dinner, we all got together for a big bonfire! Let me tell you, this group loves a good bonfire (and dance parties). I think it all started in Turkey when we had one at the hotel there. This one was great though because Sister Skinner (our Academic Director’s wife) brought us stuff to make S’mores! It was so nice to have a little bit of America, even if some of the components were foreign. I love roasting mallows. It always reminds me of when I was little and all of the cousins would roast marshmallows around the firepit at my Grandma and Grandpa Goulding’s house in California during the summer. These S’mores weren’t quite the same, but it was still super fun. After the food, we all sat around the fire and sang some camp songs; that died down pretty quickly though when only the girls knew the Girl’s Camp songs. Then we told scary stories, and I’ll admit, some of them were pretty creepy! But it was more fun than scary. These are some of the times that I love most on this trip-- just spending time with everyone. And who doesn’t love a bonfire?

No comments:

Post a Comment