Thursday, August 25, 2011

GNO

Girl's Night (and day) Out! Today my sisters, mom, and I had a full-on girls day. It was really fun to spend time with all of them and just relax. We started off the day with a late breakfast at Callie's Cafe on State Street. Chelsea recommended it. It was definitely an experience! It's not really the type of scene that I personally would usually frequent... bar in the back, truckers out front, postings of the next televised professional fight. It was definitely charming in its own special way. But I will say this, don't judge a book by its cover or a cafe by its clientele and decor. The food was DELICIOUS. We all shared a giant cinnamon roll; an omelette with peppers, onions, and ham; and "The Killer Hashbrowns," a dish which probably derived its name from how many arteries it has clogged upon consumption. It was a huge plate of hashbrowns, topped with peppers, onions, sausage (which was quite impressive), bacon, ham, cheese, and smothered with country gravy. Um, yes please. I'm proud to say that I have survived the Killer Hashbrowns, and I live another day to eat them. I probably won't get another breakfast like this for a while, so I'm glad I got it in while I could. Next on the list was pedicures! The original reason for the pedis was so Cort and Chels could treat my mom to one for her birthday. She never treats herself to manis and pedis cause she is always afraid she'll just get them dirty while working in the yard or something. So this was definitely a treat! I much prefer pedis over manis because I always seem to chip the paint off my nails, and it's much harder to make it look nice. Plus, pedis make your feet so soft, and you get to sit in the big fun chairs with the back massager and jacuzzi foot baths. Honestly, what could be better? I decided to be a little bold with my color choice: neon orange. Like I said, it's bold. But, my feet are pretty tan, so it's like a "o-that's-a-fun-bright-young-color" neon orange, instead of a "o-bless-her-heart-she's-color-blind-and-tacky" neon orange. At least I hope so. After the nail salon, we went separate ways for sewing (Chels and Mom), errands and such (Cortney), and napping (me and Caitlin). I was very appreciative for this part of the day. The second portion of our girl's day was the evening (hence GNO). We all went to dinner at Cafe Rio, and we even invited the boys along. So generous of us. Then the girls went to see the new movie "The Help." I absolutely loved it. If you haven't seen it, you should. It was the perfect balance of funny, heart-wrenching, heart-warming, and empowering. And ya, I guess it's kind of a chick flick since it's all about women, but I think boys would like it too. At least I would like to think they would, then I can convince myself that they would watch it with me... "they" meaning a certain boy **ahem **. There were so many parts that I loved, but of course my favorite was every time Aibileen would say to the little girl "You is kind, you is smart, you is important." I love this. I think that if everyone was told this when they were little (and even as adults), the world would be better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing I'm the boy supposed to watch it? I'll buy it and we can watch it for christmas break.

    Chase

    ReplyDelete